Pros and Cons of Metal Roofing
What are the Pros and Cons of Metal Roofing?
Metal roofing is becoming more and more popular with good reason. There are many benefits to metal roofing no matter what part of the country you live in. We will go over various reasons that make metal roofing the way to go as homeowners or commercial property owners.
Pros for Metal Roofing
- Installation – Metal roofing usually comes in fairly large sections – 12 to 36 inch wide panels, making the installation quick and less time consuming than shingles.
- Weight – If you are you looking for one of the lightest roofing options on the market, then metal roofing is a great option.
- Longevity – Metal roofing has stood the test of time with some roofs lasting well over 100 years in Europe with care and maintenance. Due to their weather resistance, metal roofs are should last 50+ years.
- Fire Resistant – Metal roofs are noncombustible; this gives a rating of Class A fire rating.
- Environmentally Friendly – Metal roofs are often produced with recycled content and can be recycled when it has reached its end.
- Weather Resistant – Whether you live in the North in extreme cold, or you live in the South and have extreme heat, metal roofs are weather resistant. In the North, metal roofs easily shed snow and insulate homes. In the South, metal roofs reflect the heat and keep homes cooler in the summer. They are also resistant to mildew, insects, and rot.
- Curb Appeal – With the array of colors and styles that are now available, metal roofing can add a striking appearance to any home or building.
Cons for Metal Roofing
- Cost – Metal can cost three times as much as asphalt shingles which you will get back over time, but if you plan on moving in the near future, you will probably not see the return on investment.
- Curb Appeal – Metal roofing is not the look for every building. If you want the durability and longevity of steel with the look of shingles, check out stone coated steel roofing systems.
- Expansion and Contraction – You might have heard that metal roofs expand and contract which affects their ability to be water tight. This problem can be eliminated by a professional metal roof company installing your metal roof.
- Buyer Beware – Property owners should ensure they are buying a quality metal roof. Low-end steel products are on the market and these low-grade metals are thinner and less durable.
NCW Exteriors offers commercial, agricultural and residential steel roofs. We are proud to serve Manawa, Stevens Point, Clintonville, Marion, New London, Shawano, Tigerton and Waupaca areas with all of their metal roofing. For more about the features and benefits of our steel roofs click here.